Submitted by Partnership Douglas County
Douglas Disposal’s Household Hazardous Waste Program includes protocols for disposal of sharps.
Douglas County residents wishing to dispose of sharps (needles) will need to call and make an appointment to drop them off at the Transfer Station, located at 902 Dump Road in Gardnerville. To make an appointment, call (775)782-5713 for drop-off at no charge.
Hazardous Waste Technicians are available on Thursdays (2 p.m.-4 p.m.) or Saturdays (9 a.m.-11 a.m.)
- All containers must be sealed & clearly labeled
- Leaky or unidentified containers won’t be accepted
- No container over 5 gallons; 20 gallon limit
- Inventory (size and # of containers) are needed at the time appointment is made
- Staff must keep the container in which the material is delivered.
- Put used sharps in a strong, plastic container. Such as
• Detergent bottles
• Coffee containers
- Do NOT use water bottles or soda bottles to dispose of sharps.
- Sharps should never be thrown loosely into the trash
For more information contact Douglas Disposal or go to www.safeneedledisposal.org.